The Edinburgh Writersâ€™ Club emerged in January 1947 from under the misery and deprivations of World War II, alongside plans for the Edinburgh International Festival.
Aspirations for post-war conciliation and forward-thinking through the Arts were also part of the rationale for our writersâ€™ club.
Now, with 70 years of writing to our credit, we are celebrating with a move of meetingsâ€™ venue to the fully accessible Grosvenor Hilton Hotel at Haymarket in Edinburgh.
The clubâ€™s opening event at the Hilton celebrates its longevity with â€˜a bit of a doâ€™ principally to show our appreciation of our loyal 46 members on the evening of 18 September 2017. There will be a glass of sparkling wine for a toast from our Honorary President, Alanna Knight MBE. The cityâ€™s Lord Provost is attending and other guests will include established writers, agents and publishers.
Newcomers, writing at all levels are welcome to attend the party and find out more about the Club (Â£5 ticket, refundable on joining.)
Or try a Â£5 taster session (refundable on joining) to see if we are the right group for you.
Calling All Writers
For the first time in several years we are pleased to be able to say that via the Hiltonâ€™s ramp (a few yards beyond the main front door) we are fully accessible to people with mobility difficulties. Club members know that life as a writer can be lonely. Some are in full or part-time employment, students, retired or carers. They write short stories, drama, non-fiction, poetry, novels, science fiction, romance, lyrics, historical, travel articles, horror, and flash fiction.
We have around five â€˜members-onlyâ€™ writing competitions a year (not compulsory!) that provide useful feedback. Some members prefer simply to listen to speakers, others enjoy our open workshops when they can discuss writing hiccups. Officially, meetings run from 19:30-21:00 but with 20% Hilton Discount Card many will come early to eat or stay late to chat over coffee or a glass of wine.
- support, companionship, a comfortable venue in the city centre
- regular updating on national writing events
- annual fee Â£40 (with concessions for distant and/or disabled writers) covering approximately 16 meetings a year
- club writing competitions – winners receive a club trophy and a book token
- the Grosvenor Hilton offering 20% reduction on food and drink in the hotel.
- EWC is a founder member of the Scottish Association of Writers and club membership gives access to their annual conference and competitions.
- the club runs fortnightly on Monday evenings
- an annual planned programme of meetings and events between September to May
- EWC is one of the oldest clubs for writers in Scotland
- Our members fit into a wide range of age and experience. Passionate about their writing, many are published, some are still climbing that mountain and others simply want to write.
Please do contact our membership secretary on www.edinburghwritersclub.org.ukÂ for more details about any of the information here!
Joan Sumner is President of Edinburgh Writers’ Club.