Jane Bacon

Articles by Jane Bacon:

Dirleton has its Day

DIRLETON Castle was begun in around 1240 by John De Vaux.  Following a turbulent history, the ruins and gardens are today maintained by Historic Scotland.

Read the rest of this entry »

line

Blackness Castle Then and Now

Blackness Castle, on the shores of the Forth estuary, was acquired by the Ministry of Works in 1912 and was briefly reused as a military installation during the First World War. It was revamped during the 1920s to remove the more modern buildings within its walls and to restore its appearance as a medieval castle. Currently it is in the care of Historic Scotland and has been used as a film location for productions of Hamlet and Ivanhoe.

Read the rest of this entry »

line