Age Scotland is asking people across Scotland’s communities to nominate a championÂ in their annual awards.
The Charity, which is dedicated to helping people in Scotland enjoy a better laterÂ life, is looking for nominations for the Age Scotland Awards 2014, which will beÂ presented in the Scottish Parliament later this year.
The Awards celebrate the groups and individuals that have made a significantÂ contribution to the lives of older people.Â There are six categories in the awards:
* Volunteer of the Year Award (sponsored by Solicitors for Older PeopleÂ Scotland)
* Employer of the Year Award
* The Jess Barrow Award for Campaigning and Influencing (sponsored byÂ McCarthy & Stone)
* The Patrick Brookes Partnership Award (sponsored by Specsavers)
* Service for Older People Award
* Member Group of the Year Award (sponsored by David Urquhart Travel andÂ open only to Age Scotland member groups)
The Employer of the Year Award has been introduced for the 2014 awards because, withÂ the scrapping of the mandatory retirement age in 2012, we now have more older peopleÂ in work and it is vital that employers respond to this positively.
Brian Sloan, Chief Executive of Age Scotland, said, “Too often we hear negativeÂ messages about older people such as the ‘demographic time bomb’. Age Scotland’s Awards are our way of challenging these perceptions and celebrating later life. We want to demonstrate how older people embrace civic and social responsibilities and showcase the depth of talent and experience amongst our older generation. If you know someone who’s making a real difference to the lives of older people then tell us about them. And remember if you know of an employer who has exemplary age friendly practices, please nominate them for our newest category of award.”
The nomination form can be downloaded atÂ www.agescotland.org.uk/awardsÂ or can beÂ requested by calling 0845 833 0200.
Nomination forms must be received no later than Friday 29 August.